From:
Mike and Anne <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Jul 1997 23:36:42 -0400
Another letter to Ms Hart:
Dear Ms Porter,
I am writing re the recent column by Betsy Hart about the new breastfeeding
law in California, which appeared in various newspapers around the US. I
would appreciate it of you could pass my remarks on to your writer.
I am also a writer, specializing in women's health issues, and have had
health features published in such popular magazines as Child, Parenting,
Vogue, Glamour, etc. I am not a "breastfeeding Nazi". But I am saddened to
read such a reactionary and offensive attack on mothers, babies and health
advocates by a fellow journalist.
As a mother of three, I find it difficult to plan life so my baby is never
hungry in an inconvenient place. Should I perhaps hide behind closed doors
until he grows up? If I do venture out, should I let him scream for hours
because a delicate (if keen-sighted) male in the same mall might be
overcome by a glimpse of breast tissue? Should all magazines that feature
half-clad women on their cover pages be banned from the same mall? God
forbid that the poor man should ever go near a beach....
The US government has all sorts of programs out there to promote and
encourage breastfeeding. Ironically Ms Hart has a point - it IS ludicrous
that we must pass a law allowing women to feed their babies when they're
hungry. But if such a law is needed to protect oft-embarrassed new Moms
from being harrassed, then let us pass it.
Such a law does no harm. Those sensitive souls who are upset by watching a
baby eat may turn their heads, go about their business, and leave me be.
Yours sincerely,
Anne Merewood