From:
Anne Merewood <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Oct 1997 22:29:58 -0400
I do pump deliveries/follow up in a couple of local hospitals. I have
noticed that at one hospital, premie babies are often discharged (at around
5lb) with orders that Moms mix together formula and breastmilk so that 'the
breastmilk helps the formula to be digested'.. while the formula 'ensures
the babies get enough to eat'. Other 5lbers discharged from the same
hospital are given high calorie formula WITH IRON (the Moms always stress
that as if it MUST be good and strong if it has iron in it) to give after a
breastfeed.
I recently had a run in with this hospital so although I respect and like
the dr. in charge of newborn nursery I am wary about asking her why they do
this; I'm sure she'll assume I'm being critical - and after all I'm only
delivering pumps....
I'd be interested to hear what other hospitals tell Moms to do when they
send them home with LBW babies, and if this hospital is just following a
normal (if misguided???) procedure or if this is unusual.
Also, I work a lot with NICU Moms. Can anyone recommend a book (other than
the Premature Baby Book) that lists newborn conditions, so that if a Mom or
nurse calls and says the baby has 'inhaled muconium' or 'diaphragmatic
hernia'  I will be able to check up on the severity of the condition and
know how to approach the Mom? And I'll know how long she's likely to need
the pump for? Thanks in advance.
Anne Merewood