Date:
Thu, 24 Sep 2015 17:14:19 +0100
I'd welcome any expert analysis of the paper associated with this
press release (in newspaper reports all over the UK and prob the rest
of the English speaking world soon):

http://www.gold.ac.uk/news/homepage-news/breastfeedingdoesnotimproveyourchildsiqresearchshows.php

The study is supposed to be published in PLOS One today, but no sign
of it yet. I got in touch with the University and asked to see the
full paper and they have sent me it.

I am happy to share with anyone who wants it as an attachment - there
are no copyright issues.

Anyway - the conclusion of this big longitudinal study (n = 11000) is
that it is evidence " for the lack of any benefits of breastfeeding
on cognitive development from early life through adolescence".

BUT - and here is where I would welcome some expert analysis - the
two categories of babies were 'breastfed' and  'not breastfed'.

So babies who had been breastfed for an hour, a day, a week, were all
lumped in with 'breastfed'......no number crunching was done with
length of time they had breastfed (which would - surely - have been
possible with 11,000 subjects).

I think my understanding is correct.

Would be so grateful for offers to read and interpret - especially
the stats bits which are over my head :)

Heather Welford Neil
NCT, UK