From:
Rachel Myr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Nov 2008 11:53:09 +0100
Thanks, Phyllis, for trying hard to show me the difference between selling
and marketing.  Unfortunately, I am still not able to determine which
category the material on the Evenflo and the Medela websites fall into.  I'm
hoping Marsha will elaborate further.  Marsha, I know that pumps are NOT
covered by the Code, I am simply hoping that these examples will serve to
illustrate the difference between selling and marketing.

Phyllis wrote:
'Selling is also the inventory or pricing list with no "message to the
consumer" attached, like the shelf full of products and a price tag
attached, or the picture of a product package with a simple listing of the
items include in that package.'

First, I need to interject something.  While an inventory or pricing list
may well have no message to the consumer, a shelf full of products is the
foremost marketing tool used by a vendor.  Once you are in a store, the only
way they can get your attention is by catching your eye.  The color, shape,
placement, and sheer size of the packaging and the display will have been
designed with at least as much forethought and probably more costly research
than went into the shape of the feeding teat, the chemistry of the plastic
in the bottle, and even the mechanism of the pump, combined.

Here is some text taken from the websites I referred to:
"Adjustable vacuum dial allows mom to adjust the vacuum levels to be more
like her own babies suckling, maximizing performance and comfort"

"Feels more like your baby than any other retail pump"

"The auto-cycling vacuum simulates your baby's suckling to produce more milk
in less time"

"Simulates your baby's slower, deeper suckling for maximum milk flow in less
time"

Some of this text is taken from the site of a company we can't praise highly
enough for its efforts to become code-compliant, and some is taken from the
site of a company that has been roundly criticized for not doing so.  Also,
the simple listing of the items included with these pumps includes no bottle
nipples in the one case, and does include two such nipples in the other.
Guess which one has the bottle nipples?  (Hint: it isn't Medela.)

The text on the two sites about feeding bottles was along the same lines.
Read it, and then explain to me why one is acceptable and the other, not.  I
can't figure it out.  I'm no apologist for Medela, by any means, lest anyone
think I am partial to one company over another.  I'm equally cynical about
all of them.  Don't even get me started on Avent, Chicco,  and Dr Brown!

Rachel Myr,
Feeling inordinately slow on the uptake, in Kristiansand, Norway

http://evenflo.com/product.aspx?id=227
http://www.medelabreastfeedingus.com/products/breast-pumps/351/pump-in-style
-advanced-breastpump-backpack-2008  and
http://www.medelabreastfeedingus.com/products/breastmilk-collection/344/brea