From:
Judy Holtzer Knopf <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 Aug 1995 16:50:47 -0900
Thank you, Jewell, for your Aug. 3 posting. I am confused about fenugreek
and would like to hear more about it. My *English* herbal books all
mention it as a galactagogue, but none of my *Hebrew* herbal books do.
The Hebrew books say that it will help lower blood pressure (if it is a
diuretic, perhaps this is the "drying effect" of which Jewell spoke), and
will lower glucose (great if mom is diabetic, but what about sending baby
into hypoglycemia????) I want to strongly second what Jewell wrote about
herbs sometimes being very powerful, and casual use should be shunned.
Quite possibly, my prejudices may be showing, but, without some serious
documentation, relying only on what I would call the "longer greyer beard
effect" (the rabbi with the longest and greyest beard tends to be
believed; since he is the oldest, stands to reason he's the wisest), I
tend to believe the Hebrew sources, since the wisdom is uninterrupted for
thousands of years. Personal prejudice, people! ;-) Judy K. in Israel