From:
Diana Design <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 16 Sep 1995 18:21:47 -0400
I've been reading the posts about mother's intuition with great interest. I
always
encourage "my moms", in WIC and Medicaid clinics, to listen to their hearts
and not hesitate to question a health care professional when his/her
diagnosis
feels wrong. And BTW, I have to come to the defense of doctors...some nurses
can
be very condescending and close-minded when mothers' ideas conflict with
theirs. (Of course, this doesn't apply to Lactnetters and I feel I can say
this
since I'm a nurse.)

Anyway, does anyone remember the mom, P.F., who was featured in the 7/22/94
WSJ article "Dying for Milk..."? Guess what her original gripe was... NO ONE
listened to her when she thought there was something wrong with her son!
Not the visiting nurse/L.C., not the doctor, not the doctor's nurses, not the
hospital personnel. She was told that she was a first-time mom and
essentially
didn't know anything. This is what angered her into seeking public attention.

The first and only newspaper article written about her on 8-24-93 (way before
the WSJ
writer contacted her) was titled "A Sad Reminder That Mother Knows Best."
The medium length article ended with this quote from P.F.: "First-time
mothers
think they don't know any better. But they do."

BTW, I spoke with a wonderful (pediatrician) friend today and she told
me that a pediatrician she knows STILL has that WSJ article taped to the
front of her office door where entering mothers can see it. She has suggested
that it be removed. Sigh...

Loving the limericks and everything else on Lactnet,
Diana Dietz, RN