From:
Magda Sachs <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 May 2001 07:38:21 +0100
Susan, you said:
>One of the things that interests me is that not all women transmit cow's
milk proteins through their milk.  If we understood the relationship
between what caused some women to transmit the proteins and others not, it
would give us some options in cases of moms (like myself before my
reeducation) who are resistant to eliminating dairy from their diets.  Do
any of you have any thoughts on what makes the difference in transmission?
I have heard one SPECULATIVE theory that women who have engorgement and/or
mastitis are more likely to transmit these proteins and that reducing these
conditions will alleviate the problem.<

I think it would make sense to look at the exact type of breastfeeding for
babies expereincing colic.  Were they exclusively breastfed?  (Using which
definition?), if not, how not and what else was given?  I would remember to
distinguish between exclusive breastfeeding and exclusive breast milk
feeding.

The stuff about mastitis makes sense as a theory to test, because of the
leaky juncitions in the cells lining the ducts.

Can you tell that I am using the results of looking into the question of
transmission of HIV?  I have always thought that looking at the possible
mechanisms of this was going to teach us more about a lot of other aspects
of breastfeeding.

Magda Sachs
Breastfeeding Supporter, BfN, UK