Date:
Sat, 30 Dec 2000 09:55:52 EST
Sande asked,

> i had a Mom in class and she is a chemist and asked if it will be
> ok for her to breastfeed and return to her position as a chemist it is for

Sande, so much depends on just what chemicals she is working with.  Without
knowing what she is exposed to, it's a bit hard to know how to answer.  Did
she work there when she was pregnant?  Was there any concern during the
pregnancy?  If not, I would suspect that it should be OK.  The Occupational
Nurse (or whatever they have that passes for same) should have some idea of
what kind of hazards there are to the chemicals she is working with.  For
example, is there a problem w/ inhaling fumes?  What about touching the
chemicals and having them absorbed through her skin?  I wouldn't think that
inhalation would be a problem, but again, I don't know what she's working
with.

Jan Barger, RN, MA, IBCLC
Administrative & Program Director
Lactation Education Consultants