Date:
Wed, 10 Mar 1999 20:20:44 EST
Hi Everyone,
I need some wisdom from this group. Today I was told of a woman who is 34 wks
preg and was dx with papillary carcinoma of the thyroid in early Feb. She
under went a thyroidectomy and they found some lessions on the surrounding
muscles and one positive lobe in her parathyroid. She ran into commplications
of premature labor, which they corrected with Mag Sulfate and low calcium. She
is on calcium and Vit D supplements and her calcium levels are now normal. She
is also on thyroid replacement but on a low dose (don't have the med or dose
here at home). They want to keep her on a low dose to keep her TSH low till
she is 3-6 month postpartum then tx her with radioactive idodine for 10 days.
The woman wants to breastfeed and have enough supply to cover the 10 days then
pump & dump while tx and then resume brfdg. I have not talked to the woman
yet, but plan a prenatal mtg. Her doctors give her a good prognosis.
My question is: if she is on a low dose of thyroid med could this compromise
her to bring a full milk supply? Has anyone worked with a mom with a similar
situation?
Thanks for any help.
Ann Perry RN IBCLC
Boston, Mass