From:
Cathy Liles <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Jul 1999 00:19:02 -0500
I was surprised to see a message stating, "In our practice we don't see
moms very often with mastitis in the office, mostly they are taken care of
over the phone and it resolves." This may be a dangerous practice. Any
infection in a postpartum woman needs to be treated with caution including
a visit to her health care professional. Mastitis can be the presenting
symptom of a systemic infection or a secondary infection to endometritis.
It seems that any infection in a breastfeeding woman is treated as mastitis
until proven otherwise.  I have worked with two women who had serious
endometritis that was initially dismissed as mastitis and treated over the
phone. One of the women was hospitalized and intensive care for two weeks,
the other required a hysterectomy for a ruptured uterus. Both presented
with "flu-like symptoms, tender red breasts and fever."  One also
complained of backpain and unexpected cessation of bleeding. The mom in
intensive care had red breasts extending up her chest and I now wonder if
she didn't have toxic shock symptoms. I recommend women see their health
care provider if they have symptoms of mastitis lasting over 24 hours and
before if they feel the need.  Cathy Liles, IBCLC