From:
Lynn Shea <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Aug 2003 11:16:44 EDT
Amy writes;
>>On the topic of putting breastmilk on exterior parts of the body, ie skin,
conjunctiva.  I was wondering if anyone has experience using it on burns?
I have permission to post- my friend has a 13 month old who is still
nursing and he just tonight got a servere burn from boiling water left on
the counter.  Possibly 30% BSA.  They're in the ER on morphine and IV and
being transfered to a burn center.  We talked about nursing him extra for
nurishment and to aid in the healing process and I said it might be
beneficial to put directly on the burn<<

So sorry for your friend!
I attended a conference about 6-7 years ago where one of the speakers (sorry,
can't remember her name) gave an emotionally wrenching speech about her
experience with exactly this.   As she described it, about 20years prior, her
sister was badly burned in an accident. Because they were both nursing at the time,
she-a toddler, her sister- a newborn, the speaker took over the care and wet
nursing of her (niece?), would go to the hospital regularly to pump her
sister's breasts and put breast milk on the burns (they didn't reveal this to the
Docs). The burns were very bad, required long rehab and hospitalization BUT the
docs were amazed at the quicker than expected healing!   If the LC who gave
that talk is a lactnet member, thanks for sharing such a powerful experience.

Lynn Shea Rn,Bsn,Ibclc
Franklin,Massachusetts