Date:
Fri, 9 Apr 2010 10:00:44 EDT

Julia writes:

I'm  sorry if I'm repeating what someone else has already advised (I'm
on  digest). I'd suggest starting at
<http://www.sagepub.com/journalsProdManSub.nav?prodId=Journal201341>,
which details the guidelines for length, content, and style.
Following  those guidelines will help you get started by creating the
bare bones of  the article. You can flesh it out once you've got the
basic, essential  information down. The hardest part of writing (in my
opinion) is getting  started!

I'd also suggest looking at current issues to get an idea of  how
articles are laid out in terms of information depth and flow. Don't
worry about replicating the look of a published article, by the way.
Unless otherwise requested, go with 12-point type, 1-inch margins all
around, and double-spacing. Follow journal style on references,
statistics, abstract, and so on (e.g., follow how things are
capitalized, abbreviated, and italicized).

If you've got a lot of  references, you might find it reference
management software such as  EndNote useful. You don't have to use it
(many authors don't), but it does  make keeping track of references
and citations easier. And, of course,  make sure all information in
the paper that comes from other sources is  attributed.

After you've gotten a final draft that the five of you are  happy
with, ask a colleague not involved with the study to give the
manuscript a critical read through (and remember to thank that person
in your acknowledgment section). Before submitting, give the article
a  final read-through to make sure all of the journal guidelines are
met and  that all of the references are cited.

Julia R. Barrett, MS, ELS
Science Writer & Editor in the Life  Sciences
Madison, Wisconsin