From:
laurie wheeler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Jul 2008 23:14:25 -0500
Well it never ceases to amaze me the things nurses are grossed out about.
Many labor nurses who look at even more private places, think breasts are
just so gross.
I think the mom in question is being defiant. In other words, there is
nothing wrong with what she is doing, and I say good for her, but because
she is getting grief over it, and knows her rights, she is not going to cave
in.
I would suggest to the nurses to find something else to do while she is
pumping, and not make it an issue. You might have to confirm to them that
this is a legal issue and the mother could make it a problem for them in the
hospital and in the courts. I would count this as harrassment if they are
badgering her about it. Then I think I would just step aside and not say
anything else about it. If it continues to be a problem, and if you have a
pt advocate, you might want to get her/him involved.
Laurie Wheeler RN MN IBCLC
Mississippi USA