From:
Sam Doak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Dec 2007 10:14:40 -0500
I don't name positions, either, and am amazed every time I see a new one.

One mom (with HUGE breasts) would lean back in a chair, rest her baby on her
knees (baby facing towards mother) and nurse her baby at her knees. They
nursed for years. Don't remember how the mother kept the baby from falling
off the knees, aside from placing her feet on a foot stool.

Another mom (with abuse issues) could manage to nurse her baby without
touching the baby, or her breasts, with her hands at all. She was sort of
large breasted, but she could put the baby on her leg, with the baby's
bottom toward her knees. The baby would latch, looking over her shoulder
towards her mother and nurse relatively well. It is almost impossible to
describe, because it was so awkward, but they continued for 5 months like
this. The mother had an oversupply issue, which probably helped the
situation.

The one thing I think we can all agree upon is the method of shoving the
baby's head towards the breast in an attempt to "help the baby latch" is
ineffective and counterproductive.

Best wishes from a snowy Ohio, with a house full of excited children!

Sam Doak