Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Aug 2001 17:55:50 -0700
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (21 lines)
I have been following the discussion on IBCLC - RN or non, with great interest, and have finally decided to add my $.02.  As you will see from my signature, I am an IBCLC from a non nursing background.  There is a college here in the Los Angeles area that offers a BA or MA in Human Development with a specialization in Lactation, which means majoring in lactation.  It is Pacific Oaks College, in conjunction with the Lactation Institute.  While I did my Master's degree locallly, Pacific Oaks does offer their program to people who are not from this area via the internet.  The Lactation portion is usually done here, at the Lactation Institute and the courses are given in intensive form, so that one does not have to be away from home for any extended length of time.  Because I was able to devote full time to my studies and clinical hours I finished my degree, including writing and publishing a Theisis, in 2 calender years.  Most people take long than that and they can go at whatever pace they chose.  When I finished my course I was elgible and sat for the IBCLC exam.

When I first finished I thought that all I wanted to do was private practice.  As time went on I felt that I wanted to expand myself by doing hospital work.  With much ado about my not being an RN a HMO did hire me and I worked there, as well as doing my private practice for a number of years.  When my position was terminated I was replaced, both on the hospital floor as well as for follow-up post partum visits by 2 RNs, both who were RNs based on a 2 year community college program. They had recently become Certified Lactation Educators (they took a one week course).  They did not do any other hospital work and were part of the out-patient health education department.  

My next hospital job was with a hospital that already had two non-RN IBCLCs and I was added as their 3rd, continuing my private practice part time.  That was the best hospital job I had.  During this time I was contacted by a hospital who was looking for an RN,IBCLC but was anxious to talk to me based on my resume and background.  I was offered the position with a salary that equalled an RN's and was asked to work 20 hours per week with benefits. This meant very little time for my private practice but I agreed.  While I was in orientation for that position the supervisor told me that admin. wouldn't allow her to pay me the salary that RNs receive and while it would be less, she would do everything in her power to see to it that I would get the original promised salary.  My hours would now be only 12 hrs. per week with no benefits, until I proved myself to all the docs.  I started the position, which was a mistake on my part.  The salary and hourly adjustment never came through and I was expected to see as many as 3 dyads at a time in half an hour in the out-patient clinic, which eliminated the chance for Dads to join us, because it was all one room - no screens, etc.  Since I was exempt, I was expected to work for 12 hrs. pay per week, but stay until I finished, which often ended up being 16-18 hrs. per week.  As you can see that cut my salary down even further.  I did not stay there very long, because I felt that I was incredibly over qualified and underappreciated and underpaid.  

Today, I am happily back at private practice along with teaching and I am getting ready to write a book and not missing hospital work at all, except for the guaranteed income each month.  

Warmly, Yaffa

^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^
Yaffa Stark, MA, IBCLC
Los Angeles, California
[log in to unmask]  

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2