From:
Susan Burger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Nov 2006 10:55:47 -0500
Dear all:

I want to thank Heather for sending me a copy of the British Medical Journal article.  it is
even worse than I suspected.  It uses statistically erroneous methods for judging
accuracy, does not provide any specific details on the methodology of how they
established the accuracy of sucking up the milk in a syringe and pre and post weights of
the device from which they fed, uses multiple observers for the volumetric
measurements (a big no no) and assumes volume is a gold standard.  They also do not
provide the calibration standards of the scale. If you read this closely, they suggest
computerized breast volume measurements and deuterium tracer studies might be more
accurate.  Why didn't they compare the test weighing and the "observations from bottle,
cup and various other devices" against these other standards rather than comparing milk
sucked up into a tube and put back into a cup, bottle or who knows what other device in
that they might have used for their poorly described study methods.

Plus, they did not prove statistically that test weighing is up to 30 ml off. They picked the
farthest possible point between the measurements eyeballed off a syringe which
presumably went back into a cup or bottle and the test weighing.

You cannot conclude anything useful from this poorly designed, poorly described and
inappropraitely analyzed study.

Best Susan Burger