From:
Valerie Mcclain <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Oct 1999 07:26:55 -0700
Due to Hurricane Irene, I was without power for 4 days.  So I am
responding rather belatedly to the post about chemical spraying for
mosquitoes in New York State.  Here in Florida, we are continually
exposed to pesticides and herbicides.  Ever since I read Rachel Carson's
book, "Silent Spring,"(1963) I have been opposed to the use of chemicals
to kill insects.

Regina, I would encourage you to ask those in charge of the spraying to
provide you with the M.S.D.A.(Material Safety Data Sheet) on
Anvil(Sumithrin).  Those in charge of the spraying can obtain this from
the company that produces the chemical.  All chemicals have to have a
M.S.D.A.(Osha Standard).  It will tell you the ingredients and most
importantly the health hazard data.  In Florida, all companies have to
provide this information, if requested.

According to the information I have from the National Coalition Against
the Misuse of Pesticides, pyrethroids(Anvil) has been the subject of
concern.  While they break down rather quickly in the environment, these
"pesticides interfere with nervous system functions. Some pyrethroids
are suspect carcinogens, according to the EPA."

I think like anything in life, people will be effected differently by
spraying.  I would be most concerned about infants, young childern, the
elderly, those with compromised immune systems, and any with
asthma/respiratory problems.  I live near Mosquito Lagoon...so the name
tells you everything.  We get sprayed over and over again once the rainy
season begins(June-November).  We get sprayed with malathion--a nerve
poison.  According to a NCAMP paper, "Thirty-four of the most commonly
used pesticides  present a range of risks: 10 are carcinogenic, 12 cause
birth defects, 7 reproductive effects, 20 are neurotoxic, 13 cause liver
or kidney damage, and 29 are sensitizers or irritants." DDT was
considered safe for many years before it was taken off the market.  The
safety of any chemical that kills certain species is questionable.
Valerie W. McClain, IBCLC