From:
Laura Hart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Jan 1999 00:06:07 EST
In a message dated 1/18/99 9:41:24 AM Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

<< Is this just a nurse wanting to
 convince a mom to allow supplements to make the nursery nurse's job in the
 nursery easier?  They all seem to LOVE to feed the babies! At least night
 shift, anyway!  Any opinions here?

 Janette >>

We have been discussing this at our work place recently. We seem to have
certain nurses who consistently feed babies in the nursery with bottles. When
other nurses are on the night shift we rarely see the babies fed in. (this
consists of both mother-baby nurses & nursery nurses)
As I made out the assignment sheet for the oncoming night shift recently,
another nurse noticed that all the nurses assigned were the ones who tend to
bottle-feed the breastfed babies. She remarked, "It's the bottle brigade!"

We seem to have trouble educating the nightshift crew. Any ideas out there? We
offer free programs with contact hours & still they don't show up. I'm
thinking of putting up a big poster inservice on our unit highlighting
breastfeeding information. What topics, slogans, references, etc. do you all
suggest.

Wouldn't it be great to have nationwide hospital inservices so that all areas
would get the same info at the same time. It seems to be really important to
administration (legally) to do what the rest of the community does. When I
mentioned alternative feeding methods they asked "what are other hospitals in
the area doing?"  I'm so tired of playing "follow-the-leader"---why can't a
private hospital (we're not a teaching hospital) do something innovative in
the community?

Thanks for listening,
Laura Hart, RN, BSN, IBCLC
Winter Park FL  (come on down...the weather is warm 70's & 80's in central
Florida)