From:
Lesley McBurney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Mar 1998 07:50:11 +1000
At 09:43 24/03/98 -0500, Sheila wrote:

>Has anyone noted any adverse reactions by a baby to a mother eating hot spicy
>foods ( ie chili pepper use)?  Mothers who use hot spices all the time
>sometimes note that when their babies get older, they take to spicy food quite
>easily.   (I found this too until my daughter started teething big time, then
>that spicy Indonesian food bothered her gums).  Observations, anyone???

I had a friend years ago with a big baby that was very reluctant to eat
solids. Was almost exclusively breastfed for 9 months. Then tried her on
Mexican food
and she never looked back. Parents always ate lots of Mexican food and often
quite hot, including through pregnancy. In her second year this baby lived
almost entirely on spicy food.

Lesley McBurney
Brisbane, Australia
NMAA Breastfeeding Counsellor (Clayfield/Wilston Group, Qld)
Publications Revision, New Publications & Book Review Working Groups
Admin Assistant, NMAA Qld Branch office & editor Branch News-sheet, Branch
Manual coordinator.