From:
Marianne Vanderveen-Kolkena <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Apr 2009 21:30:07 +0200
Hello Katherine and others,

This is an interestingly different view on the issue.
So... what are you and others appalled by most... the fact that Jay put
words in Mr. Tayloe's mouth that Tayloe didn't say and thereby 'lying' about
what Tayloe said...? And Jay ought to apologize for that..? I read the
'press release' once again and I see nothing that Mr. Tayloe should really
be ashamed of, if the words hád been true.
As far as shame and apologies are concerned... what about a president of a
pediatric organisation, a prestigeous one for that matter, who/that
continues to uphold sponsorship policies...?
How do the consequences of that compare to the personal consequences for the
AAP-president...?
I don't know either of them. What I do know, is that institutions can be
very hard to break through to, especially those cashing money from suspect
origins.
Why is it always those who advocate the children's rights that have to be
overpolite and careful and 'respectful', although meanwhile the
institutionalized egoes have no problem with their ties to industry and the
consequences that has for public health? Noone was personally insulted by
this *joke* (I repeat: joke). Tayloe could have been very proud of himself,
had he really spoken these words. But he didn't. And sofar I have not seen
any statement floating around on Lactnet in which the AAP explains its
stance on the matter.
I can very well understand that the AAP and this 'John'-guy we saw in some
tv-show last week (link on Lactnet) feel awkward about the situation that
has arisen.
This is a chance for them to show their real face, either one way around or
the other.
I don't know Jay Gordon. You state he has preconceived notions and insinuate
he is being opportunistic. Any evidence available for that statement...?
If it is true, Jay should explain himself and we can all judge for
ourselves. If it is not true, I consider your words more insulting towards
Jay than Jay's towards Tayloe.
Then again... most of the time we don't know what goes on behind the
screens. Most of the time, we build opinions on what we see, which may not
even be a fraction of what goes on.
That certainly goes for much of what goes on behind the public health
screens. There was a documentary on Dutch tv yesterday about the harmful
effects of unclean toilets in hospitals and dust on tv's in rooms of cancer
patients. Really dirty. Nevertheless, I'm afraid all of that dust is not by
far as dirty as what often goes on at a policy level. Americans should know
that most of all, with that big financial crisis on their hands. Many dirty
issues can go on and on forever, until one brave person stands up and says:
"The emperor wears no clothes".
David fought Goliath, Lactnet has the potential of fighting code-violating
companies and institutions. What for? For the wellbeing of babies and their
parents. Nothing shameful about that, as far as I can see.

Warmly,

Marianne Vanderveen IBCLC, Netherlands (fighting the government institute
against the crying-it-out-guideline)