From:
Sue Jacoby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Sep 1995 16:30:18 -0400
I have a mom with viral meningitis who nurses an almost three year old.  She
was told not to nurse because she would be *breathing* on the child.
 Although I realize this is a questionable instruction on the face of it, I
could not find anything educational or reassuring in my most often used
literature- the BAB, Lawrence, or Riordan/Auerbach- none  mention this
illness.  Any suggestions for something specific re: meningitis to hand the
mom to show her MD?  TIA!    P.S.  Child #1 called it "side!"  (and, of
course, "other side..." which could go on and on and on)  Child #2 said
"deesh", which evolved over the years to "dee-dee."

My input on the Ferber discussion:  I think it is illustrative to notice
who's perspective is emphasised when parents are given suggestions for
getting their children to sleep.  If Ferber says to ask yourself how long YOU
can listen to your child cry and use that time as the starting point, I guess
that nicely addresses the parent's interests, but what about the child and
HIS feelings?  I have always felt the most helpful thing anyone could do for
a new mother is to empathise with the struggle, and give support which
encourages the mother to follow her own heart.  What does she want to do?
 What does she think her child needs?  Some mothers will be able to very
correctly say that their child will settle down and be fine after a few
minutes of fussing, or perhaps even crying.  But if it is distressing to the
mother, it very likely is a clear indication that something is not right.
 Mothers know their own children best!   I think much of the stress felt by
new parents comes from inappropriate expectations communicated from outside-
from family, friends, and even the culture- magazines, etc.  Molly Pessl made
a strong statement at a recent talk saying that she felt new parents are
treated in an abusive fashion by society these days, with such judgemental
questions as "is he sleeping throught the night yet?"  In my humble opinion,
such comments, and also the Ferber guidelines, are a set-up for unrealistic
expectations ultimately resulting in a disruption of the mother-child bond.

In fact, I have a feeling that if we can continue the thread about mother's
intuition, it will eventually intersect with the discussion about nightime
parenting...   Sue Jacoby, LLLL &IBCLC