From:
Wendy Blumfield <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Feb 2014 09:35:55 +0200
I trained with the National Childbirth Trust in Britain and later qualified as a tutor for them and founded the teacher-training programme for the Israel Childbirth Education Centre.  While some of the training could be done from home (we didn`t have internet then), i.e. library, written work, observation of other teachers in my area and hospital observation, an essential component was the group work, workshops, interpersonal relationships.  When I trained teachers, I could tell after two or three meetings who would become superb caring teachers and who were choosing this profession for less positive reasons.
One can learn physiology and anatomy on-line but there is no way that one can acquire counselling and listening skills unless one learns in a group with qualified and caring tutors.
This is a problem when students live long distances from centres of learning.  But I am sure that organizers of childbirth educator training courses must have regional workshops and learning opportunities.
Wendy Blumfield