Date:
Wed, 5 Oct 2005 13:25:56 +0800
On 05/10/2005, at 4:01, Kirsten Berggren wrote:

> In defense of researchers here - just because a study finds a
> "deficiency"
> in breastmilk, doesn't mean it was supported by a competitor. We
> design
> studies as carefully as we can, and often do try to tweak the design a
> little bit to show what we want the outcome to be - but once the
> results
> are in, there's nothing you can do about it! You can tweak design,
> but you
> can't tweak results, and you're under ethical obligation to report
> what
> you found.

Where I believe the design is deficient in this study is in the
absence of infant formula as a comparator, especially infant formula
sweetened with corn syrup.

Cows milk, cola, and honey drinks aren't breastmilk substitutes. So
what is the study designed to investigate? What applications did the
authors expect the study to have in clinical practice? The
cariogenicity of non-nutritious sugar drinks is nothing new; all we
know now that is new is that thawed, dead human milk is associated
with caries in desalivated rats at a very slightly higher rate than
cows milk.

Lara Hopkins