Date:
Sat, 7 Oct 2000 13:56:14 EDT
In a message dated 10/7/00 6:56:03 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

<< Baby has never had visible thrush or diaper rash but Mom
 had all the symptoms of burning nipples, shooting pains in the breasts >>
This can be a symptom of incorrect latch or sucking. That is why it gets
better when you latch correction. If latch is OK and sucking OK then you look
to yeast, not yeast first without any other symptoms.

To me purple nipples is a result of too much pressure on the nipples. Yeast
usually makes nipples red. Perhaps she has red nipples form yeast and too
much pressure is turning them purple. But I think it is the pump.

Go to the OT I think this baby has a feeding problem --- not only a nursing
problem. Sounds like he might need support under his chin as he is not sure
how wide he needs to open his mouth. Or has a sensory problem that he thinks
there is nothing in this mouth. Or has a cold and cannot breath and is
opening his mouth (doubtful as it is with every suck).