Date:
Tue, 19 Feb 2002 23:02:27 -0600
I have a small comment to make regarding speech pathologists. We have
referred several babies to our speech pathologists in our hospital and have
had remarkable results in improved sucking after speech has worked with
these babies.  They often come up and even work with the babies in the NICU.
When a baby is having a problem sucking, we tend to refer to speech.

I also know Dee Kassing, author of the bottle-feeding article.  I have not
received my JHL so have not read the article.  I wonder if the sitting up of
the baby helps the baby organize.  I have observed speech working with a
baby in also a semi-upright position, well-supporting the neck, shoulders,
and sides of the cheeks.  It does seem to make a difference in encouraging
the baby to suck.

We also work with the patients as outpatients after speech has spent time
with them.

I'm open to always seeing and learning more.  Has any other LCs worked along
with any speech pathologists to improve a baby's suck?

Just curious about others experiences.  It sounds like many of you have had
negative experiences with speech.

Connie Chiavario, IBCLC