Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Mar 2009 13:48:50 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (51 lines)
The different etiologies for sore nipples are:  1. infection  (bacterial and/or candidal)   2. mechanical  3. Nipple vasospasm  4. Paget's disease  .

1. One cannot rule out candida with testing the breastMILK as there is a high rate of false negatives. This rate can be decreased by adding ferrous sulfate to the milk and culturing them on a SDA plates.  I doubt the dermatologist did this. It is however, fairly accurate to culture the nipple/areolar area separately.  If the lab uses a germ tube to determine the presence of candida it can miss C. dublinesis.  

2. If it is mechanical then I have found that moms just need to use the nipple shield most of the time and at about 4 months it starts to work.  

3. For nipple vasospasm--asking the mother to note any nipple color changes is the first step.  Applying ice to the nipple is a test  you can use.

4. Paget's disease presents as a nipple with eczematous changes. The nipple can be reddened, sore or itchy/burning.  IT can wax and wane.  Sometimes the nipple inverts.  These symptoms can be subtle or extremely obvious. 

Lastly,  she can have a combination of the above etiologies.  

My gut feeling is that she needs treatment with bactroban  and OTC yeast med  or that she has some oroboobular discombobulation leading to recurrent trauma.  

Christine Betzold NP CLC MSN

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2