From:
Patricia Blomme <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Nov 1999 15:05:51 -0700
Here in Alberta, Canada The Alberta Association of Registered Nurses (AARN)
commissioned a poster to depict nurses various roles within their realm of
work for nurses week in the month of may. Much to the dismay of many
breastfeeding advocates right in the forefront (one of the largest nursing
examples) was a nurse feeding a baby from a bottle. The next AARN magazine
to be published had many letters of opposition to this blatant display of
artificial feeding by a health care provider. Many stating that in light of
the WHO code that this depiction was totally inappropriate.

Now I have just my latest issue of the AARN magazine. The rebuttal to the
letters of opposition to this poster were quite against the feelings of the
previous magazines letters. One RN even using the term "breastfeeding
nazis". Another says this "depicts a nurse caring for a newborns and
providing nutrition in that manner", which to me says that is how newborns
are supposed to be cared for.

I am so dismayed. I understand all the problems that women face when
attempting to breastfeed. I know that many a woman has sat in her own tears
of guilt for her failing attempts to do something which she feels should be
so natural And I try to understand those that just don't feel that offering
breastmilk is even to be considered, even if they know it is best for baby.
These two examples are primary indicators of how far we have come away from
supporting the best interest of mothers AND babies.

What I am hearing from these rebuttal letters is a marked fence sitting
position. Just support the mom in what ever she has decided. I know that by
the time these moms reach the L & D and next the postpartum wards there is
nothing that can be done to change the mind of the mom. And the lack of
CONSISTENT support and information during pregnancy and birth does not help
matters either. I faced this during my perinatal training. Moms without a
clue trying to understand and learn everything about breastfeeding with
their new baby in their arms. With nurses sitting on the fence in regards to
"breast or bottle let the mom decide then act on that". And when the mom has
decided not to breastfeed the nurses acting as guardians of the moms door so
that the LCs will not approach her. I am really beginning to wish I were not
of this profession, cause all it is getting me is opposition for my beliefs
about birth and breastfeeding and how both can benefit the child.

Oh my OH my........