From:
Sara Bernard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 May 2002 13:20:25 +0200
"What I am hearing is that babies are highly adaptive and will find
compensatory behaviours to deal with what might otherwise be a problem. For
Sarah--a high palate and strong MER, for Jessica a strong MER. Both Sarah
and Jessica (and Winnie earlier) make the point that "if it ain't broke,
don't fix it". I agree, to a point. But what if all seems well now, but
there will be a price to pay later, either with decreased supply or some
other problem, such as the vomiting three-yr old described by chiropractor
Sharon Vallone. I am not convinced that clicking as a sign of compensatory
behaviour is something to ignore, even though the mother is experiencing no
pain and the baby is growing well. (Some of these babies also seem to grow
too well, and in light of the recent literature on rapid weight gain infancy
and obesity, I wonder if this is a good thing). Personally, I would find a
chiropractor or CST and optimize the baby's oral functioning as much as
possible.
Jennifer Tow, IBCLC, CT, USA"

I agree with you on the milk production side Jennifer. Although I'm going
with the flow at the moment , I do have it in the back of my mind that if
the clicking persits for too long i.e. well past three or four months then
I'm going to get her latch re-checked. The milk supply issue does not fase
me too much as I know I can act to prevent a low supply (should it be a
problem). Actually I'm going to a get-together with counsellors and LCs on
Wednesday evening and hopefully we can all observe the click together.  I
can imaging though that it can be very unsettling for mothers with this sort
of 'problem'? and I feel lucky that I'm surrounded with people who can help
if it is indeed a problem.

With regard to the fast gainers, all my kids gained at about 250g+ per week
fro the first three to four months. Aftier this time, their growth was more
to the 'norm'. With the first two I didn't have any feeding problems, infact
it they latched fed like you'd expect a well latched child to do. I'm not
convinced that their fast weight gain in the first months will be a problem
for them.

Thanks for your input though, I'll search for that article on obesity and
bf. Wasn't it in the BMJ??

groetjes

Sara