Date:
Sun, 6 Oct 2002 13:55:20 -0400
>Some years ago a NMAA/ABA counsellor in Australia advised me to look for a
>pacifier that did NOT fit flush against the baby's face, to allow the lips
>to turn out to the flanged position. What are your thoughts on this, and is
>there any literature to support it?

I've always assumed that a pacifier that *didn't* have that skinny neck
would be unuseable because the baby would lose it quickly.  Do babies ever
suck continuously on something that doesn't have a means of staying put?
Imagine a breast-shaped (cone-shaped) pacifier, if baby gave it a good
suck-PRESS.  Wouldn't it just squirt out of his mouth?  Doesn't the baby
held only loosely at breast gradually work his way onto the nipple?  A
finger is held in place for him, so is a bottle.  The edge of his sling
(which can also get a lot of sucking) stays basically in place for him,
combined with a lot of chewing probably because it doesn't stay *perfectly*
in place.  But a pacifier has to stay in place without any help at all
beyond that intermittent suction... except from the back-pressure of baby's
nearly closed mouth.  At least, this has always been my assumption.
--
Diane Wiessinger, MS, IBCLC, LLLL  Ithaca, NY
www.wiessinger.baka.com