From:
Renee Mercier <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Aug 2004 22:39:24 -0400
Hello fellow Lactation Professionals:

Advice and suggestions please!  I spoke with the Navy's Special Assistant
for Women's Health today about current and proposed military funding for
breastfeeding services.  She is extremely supportive and wants to do all
that she can to improve our current situation.

Current military insurance "coverage" is: NICU moms will be reimbursed for
a pump rental, no other pump reimbursement is allowed (i.e. not latching,
etc.)
Our "WIC eligible" moms can get a rental pump for breastfeeding problems,
at least in WA state. Active duty moms are on their own to purchase
a "working moms pump" and non-WIC moms with problems pay out of pocket to
rent.  Some military hospitals actually have IBCLCs and others have nurses
with some lactation training, but lactation support is not consistent
across military hospitals.  I'm an IBCLC, but provide lactation services as
a "collateral duty".

There is a clause in the military health insurance manual that states
(under the children's health section) that "Health guidance and counseling,
including breast feeding and nutrition counseling." is covered.  Our
advisor is checking with the insurance company if this truly means that
lactation consultant services are covered.

I need suggestions, "verbal ammunition" so to speak, to pass on to the
advisor for reasons that military insurance should expand lactation
services and coverage.  I mentioned the basic "breastfeeding is a health
promoting activity that saves money" blurb.  Do you have any good quotes
and data that you would be willing to share?

Thank you!
Respectfully,
Renée Mercier RN IBCLC
Washington State