From:
Kathy Eng <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Feb 2004 18:19:56 -0600
Dear Charlotte, this would be one example of how test weighing on a really good scale like Medela's Baby Weigh or it's equivalent could help solve the riddle of poor weight gain. I would want to know how much each baby is actually removing from the breast. I would want to make sure babies are nursing often enough, too. I have seen too many babies nurse happily -- what appears to be text book perfect -- but the test weights show poor intake. Or they can take in enough at one time but mom limits how many nursings sessions per day. Also, if babies are taking in lots of breast milk, they should be having lots of bowel movements.

Kathy Eng, BSW, IBCLC