From:
laurie wheeler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 Nov 2001 20:36:38 -0500
"but I would have seen this as possibly needing to be monitored daily (have
her bring baby in tomorrow after increasing nursing) to see if there was
indeed any weight gain or weight loss, before issuing orders to supplemental
feed 2 oz. of formula after every nursing.  Perhaps I'm way off base, but I
do feel it harmful to dictate supplemental feeds (let alone the other
instructions about nursing the ped gave) simply with one weigh in and no
other indications of dehydration.  Am I way off base in my thinking?????"
Carrie, I think you are right on target, not way off base. You are right
that since the wt loss was worrisome but not extreme, and no other bad signs
like dehydration, it would have been prudent to follow them daily (provided
someone eval'd the bfing and it was good and so was supply). You are right,
too, in that to recommend supps without trying to fix the bf or protect or
increase the milk supply, will surely lead to the demise of bf. I believe
you about this doc being anti-bf (maybe not intentionally, just ignorance?),
we have one who advocates very early solids, only q4h feeds, and water
inbetween.

Laurie Wheeler, IBCLC, MN, RN
Violet Louisiana, s.e. USA