From:
Raul Mercer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Jan 1996 14:49:16 ARG
This is our formal presentation to LACTNET:
Our names are Marcelo Jaquenod and Fernando Vallone (both MDs), working
in information systems and breastfeeding respectively. We are staff members
of the Maternal and Child Health Program of the Ministry of Health at Buenos
Aires Province, Argentina.
For your information, Buenos Aires Province has 13.000.000 people (one third
of the whole Argentinian population). We have just started with this
programa 18 months ago.
As in other parts of the world, breastfeeding issues had the same problems
and conflicts. In 1995 we obtained the first data on lactation prevalence at
4 months of age = 18%
The WHO code has not the category of law. There is no restriction to
commercialize milk products.
A couple of months ago we started with an interest group on breastfeeding.
Local people and some other from Latin American countries are participating.
We are really happy to integrate Lactnet and we hope to participate
actively. We are interested to share our experiences with other groups with
common goals. In a near future we will send additional information and more
details of our Program.
Finally, we want to thank specially to Kathleen Bruce for her permanent
advice and support.
                                Marcelo Jaquenod MD
                                Fernando Vallone MD