From:
ELMALEH YEHUDA <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 May 1998 12:16:56 +0300
Dear Lactnetters,
I have searched the archives to no avail, looking for information about
delaying the cutting of the umbilical cord until it stops pulsating. I am
specifically looking for info that I can present to professionals, and need
professional info, not just opinions. I have already heard local physicians
argue that all that is achieved is polycytemia, as well as prolonged higher
bilirubin levels, and no benefits.
The latest answer I recieved was that if the newborn is laid upon the
mother's stomach immediately after birth, and the placenta takes perhaps 10
(for arguments sake) minutes or however long to be expelled, the baby will
be higher than the placenta in the uterus, and he will lose blood during
that time- and on the other hand if he is lowered to below the level of the
placenta, he won't be on his mother and he will be cold-- but isn't the
pulsation of the placenta strong enough to counteract the difference in
height if he is on mom's belly?
Any info would be appreciated, either here or privately to me. All you
wonderful midwives out there in Lactnet land- how do you exactly manage
that part of the delivery, logistically?
Thanks to all, from Jennie Elmaleh RN LLL leader, Cfar Yona, Israel