From:
Jeanne Mitchell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Apr 2005 06:50:48 -0500
> Yes, but babies dying at the breast??? Not struggling when they can't
> breathe because the breast blocks their nose. I've never heard of this
> before, has anyone else? Very concerning indeed.
> Karleen Gribble
> Australia

We had an incident in a hospital within the last 2 years in Austin, TX.
Mother was breastfeeding less than 24 hours postpartum, when she looked
down, the baby wasn't breathing.  I don't recall the specifics, but it
involves a transfer to NICU and an unfavorable outcome, either the infant
died or was severely brain damaged.  Our manager did a literature search and
discovered that when an infant's head is covered for privacy, narcosis can
happen within minutes.  It caused us to change our procedure after delivery
and change our instructions to mothers during their stay.  A nurse stays in
the room with a new mother throughout the first breastfeeding session.  When
we discuss skin-to-skin care and breastfeeding, we are careful to show the
mother that the baby's face must remain uncovered.

Within 2 months of our changes, a nurse called me who had delivered at
another hospital.  She told me her very frightening story of breastfeeding
her second baby within 24 hours of birth, and covered her baby and her
breast when visitors arrived.  She happened to look down at her baby and
states that her "baby was black" and not breathing.  She said the nurse in
her took over and she lifted the baby, stimulated her, and she began
breathing again.  This nurse cried as she told me what happened, and was
telling me hoping to affect changes in the way mothers cover themselves for
modesty.

I will ask our manager today for specifics on her literature search, because
I haven't been able come up with anything.

Jeanne Mitchell
Austin, TX