From:
jhroibal <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Jun 2000 19:05:22 -0500
Can you nurse with your seat belt on?

Pat,

You are so right.  Although the poem is clever, we need to actively
encourage moms to stop the car to breastfeed. My brother and his family
were involved in a horrific accident where their truck rolled over.  He
and his wife and their two babies (a 3 year-old and a 9 month-old) were
thrown out of their belts and car seats but they all lived.  My brother
needed over 80 stitches in his head and my SIL required months of face
and jaw surgery. The kids were scared and scratched, but fine. The other
driver died.

The nine-month old was breastfeeding and when they all arrived at the
ER, my brother constantly demanded a breastpump. He held the baby over
his wife to nurse while the ER docs were stitching up his wife.  He made
such an impact that this story was re-told at a state-wide task force
meeting.  Everyone was impressed by the *young guy* who insisted on a
breastpump.  A friend who attended the meeting revealed that, "his
sister is a LLL Leader" and everyone said, "Ah ha!"

The scary part is that about 10 minutes before the accident, my SIL was
nursing the baby and she had just put him back into his carseat.  I hate
to imagine what would have happend if he was not in his carseat. I'm
sure that most people can tell a similar story . . .

Heidi S. Roibal
Albuquerque, New Mexico