Date:
Sun, 14 Sep 1997 17:52:56 -0500
This is typical of the "nursing strike".  It has nothing to do with
thrush or ear infections.  I have no idea why it occurs, but typically
it occurs to women who have an abundant milk supply and babies who are
gaining very well.  The problem typically starts at 3 months of age,
but the youngest I have seen is 5 weeks.  Often there is a history of
symptoms compatible with an overactive letdown reflex.

The approach is to reassure the mother and *not* try to fight the baby
to the breast.  It won't work, and may only make things worse.  The
babies often do not stop nursing altogether, but nurse well at night,
or when they are half asleep, or if the mother walks with the baby in
her arms before trying the baby at the breast.  Although I dislike
this way, if the baby uses a pacifier, calming the baby with the
pacifier before trying him at the breast may work.

Even if the baby nurses only a couple of times a day, my experience is
that not only do the babies not lose weight, they actually continue to
gain, though not as rapidly as before.  The mother should allow the
baby to suck their hands when the babies refuse the breast.  It is
obvious they are hungry, but they fight the breast--better they should
suck their hands.  If they cry but refuse the breast, giving expressed
milk by cup, spoon or finger feeding will often work.

Time eventually cures the problem.

Jack Newman, MD, FRCPC