From:
Lana Hergott <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Nov 2005 11:22:21 -0500
Hello,

I am doing a little research for a mother who is returning to work and
looking to purchase a good used pump.  She is interested in a used double
pump (medela pump in style or ameda..purely yours?)  She cannot afford a
new pump, and really feels that the smaller single electric won't work for
her because of time constraints on her breaks etc.  She is wondering how
worried she should be about buying a used pump designed for single users.
If she gets new kits to go with the pump - ie. her own tubing, flanges and
bottles - how great is the risk from the motor of the pump itself?  My
understanding of viruses and bacteria is that a warm, moist environment is
required for survival.  I would think that the risk of a pathogen being
found inside the motor of a single use pump and then transfered through
the airtube of the kit, into the flange and down into the milk collection
area would be miniscule.  Can you share your opinions on this?  Although a
new double pump would be wonderful, that isn't financially possible for
all mothers.  Just how risky is it to use a used pump?