From:
Pat Bull <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Aug 1998 20:37:29 -0400
Message text written by Lactation Information and Discussion
>My quest today is to gather anecdotal info or first hand experience
feedback involving "encouraging moms of very sick babies to express their
milk".  <

Hello Netters,
I know that Dr. Paula Meier at Rush-Presbyterian-St. Luke's Medical Center
in Chicago will make rounds on all NICU baby's mothers,  shortly after
delivery (or the LC/NICU staff will).  They will explain the benefits of
breast milk  and what valuable part  the moms play.  If interested, they
receive Rush's BF packet called "Welcome to the Rush Mothers'Milk Club".
The Overview states "The Rush Mothers' Milk Club has four major parts: 1)
expressing milk for your baby's feedings, 2)skin-toskin (kangaroo) care and
suckling at the emptied breast, and 3) feeding at the breast as soon as
your baby can suck and swallow and 4) helping you prepare for breastfeeding
after your baby is discharged from the Special Care Nursery.  They then
begin expressing "at least eight times a day during the first two weeks
after birth."  The moms immediately take part in their baby's care.  They
get a handout in the packet on "Expressing Colostrum for Your Baby" and
"Expressing Hindmilk for Your Baby".  All mothers can participate in the
Mothers' Milk Club lunch every Friday at 1pm, there in the NICU area
(grandmothers, aunts, best friends or any other care takers involved  are
also welcomed).   It is a wonderful mother to mother support group,
educational time, as well as hearing other mother's testimonys as to how it
successfully works.  Rush is  very successful not only getting mothers
interested in BF/ pumping, but having the mothers involved with their
baby's care, maintaining good milk supplies,  and taking their baby's home
BF.  I do think all mothers have a right to know the importance of human
milk and that they have the choice to get involved right away.  I know that
at times I get concerned with "is this the right time?" but I know that in
the long run, it is the best for both mother and baby.
"Give what you have.  To someone, it may be better than you dare to think."
 by Henry W. Longfellow

Pat Bull, RN, IBCLC
The Breastfeeding Connection/Medela, Inc