From:
Karleen Gribble <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Feb 2004 09:07:53 +1100
Jean,

My daughter has brachial plexus injury and although I did not know her when
she was a baby I have done a little reading on the issue of pain with
babies. Traumatic brachial plexus injury is well known as being extremely
painful and difficult to manage with pain meds...some people suicide because
of the pain. However, it is conventional wisdom that obstetric brachial
plexus injury does not cause pain...there are various theories as to why
this is the case. That said, some children certainly express discomfort at
different times of their lives and sometimes self mutilate to deal with it
(ie chew fingers or hand). So, it could be pain as a result of injury you
are seeing (heck the nerves are ripped out of the spinal cord!) and/or a
result of a difficult delivery. It's a nasty injury and unfortunately
happens unnecessarily all too often.

I'll ask on a BPI BB I visit if parents saw pain in their children
post-birth.

Karleen Gribble
Australia