From:
LaLecheDeb <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Apr 1998 15:46:58 EDT
The baby is 4 1/2 months old.  Breastfeeding was going fine until 2 months.
Then some bright red blood showed up, plus baby is fussy.  Mom eliminated
dairy (I don't know how much, probably just milk and cheese and not a more
detailed elimination to include products with casein and whey) but that didn't
help.  Now there is more blood.  MD said upon physical examination that baby
has "anal inflammation".

MD put baby on Nutramigen and baby is fine!  This is not the first time I've
heard of this.

Why is nutramigen a hypoallergenic formula?  I know the protein is broken down
smaller, but what else?  Why would baby be fine on nutramigen but not
breastmilk?

My two thoughts are  baby is fussy because he is not satisfied and mom can try
to use one breast for two feedings to make sure baby gets fatty hindmilk, plus
have mom do a more detailed dairy elimination.

Any other thoughts would be appreciated.

Deb Wirtel, AAPL/MO
St. Louis