From:
Nancy Mohrbacher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Nov 2013 09:37:55 -0600
I can speak precisely to the issues you raise, Rachel, because I wrote
many of the handouts on the Ameda website during the 8 years I worked
there as its full-time lactation consultant. (I left that position 2.5
years ago over Code issues with its then parent company, Evenflo.) The
Ameda website definitely includes photos of breastfeeding, including
many of mothers and babies in the semi-reclined positions many now teach.

The handouts available for download on the Ameda website contain almost
no references to products. However they *do* feature the Ameda logo, and
that's the reason money and staff time were spent on them. Distribution
of these sheets is a way to increase brand recognition. And that where
the concern lies. Some hospital systems in the U.S. have prohibited the
use of instructional materials with company logos for exactly this
reason. The idea behind this is to "market health and nothing else," as
BantheBags.org so eloquently explains. Although I can vouch for the
quality of the information in these handouts, I think this is a valid
point and does speak to the potential for conflict of interest.

One more thing. Neither Ameda nor Medela have shareholders because they
are not publicly traded companies. Even without shareholders, though,
the bottom line will always be a top priority.

Nancy Mohrbacher, IBCLC, FILCA
Self-employed and loving it!
Chicago suburbs
www.NancyMohrbacher.com <http://www.nancymohrbacher.com/app-support/>