From:
Nikki Lee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Jun 2017 07:50:06 -0400
*Hey All - I have a mom who reached out to me and is having her 3rd baby.
She struggles with odd nipple pain almost immediately after delivery, but
it does not present as vasospasm. I said I could reach out far and wide and
see if my colleagues have any comments or suggestions. Pain does not occur
with pumping. If anyone is on lactnet, please post for me, tell me what
bounces back. I asked her for her history to share, here it is:*

*Patient A:*

Nipple/breast pain history:
2012- had child 1, fed at breast in hospital, day 2 needed to pump because
engorged. Went home and had to pump first then feed baby due to too fast
letdown. After day 4 called LC because feeding felt like glass was being
pulled from nipples during latch on, off and during. Was treated with 30
days diflucan. Would try again and within one day pain was back.
Ended up just pumping for a year and bottle feeding. Tried throughout that
time again and would immediately get itchy breast tissue and sore nipples
again.

2014- baby 2. Fed at breast upon birth and within hours areola was swollen,
hot, painful to touch. Too painful to feed. Started on pump. Tried salt
soaks, sunlight and air. No help. Triple nipple cream never helped. Treated
with diflucan again, no help and went to pumping for 9 months.

2017- baby 3 arrives in Sept. as of right now I have sore nipples when a
shirt or towel brushes them. No breast pain. Nipples have a little white on
tips that can almost be picked off. When in wet bathing suit breast tissue
becomes itchy for a few hours.

Health History:

Surgeries-
Two c sections
Tonsillectomy
Nasal/sinus surgery
Gallbladder out

Overweight, but good health. No diabetes, no high bp, normal cholesterol.
Seasonal allergies; Allergic to:
Sulfa; Latex (lanolin is derivative), get itchy skin.

Skin history- sensitive skin. Prone to yeast on c section incision. Can get
Eczema in winter.

Gyn history:
Regular periods, on pill for 10 yrs, 3 miscarriages, 2 healthy children.
Expecting 3rd. One sexual partner. Was strep positive at time of second
birth.

Donna Sinnott, BBA, IBCLC
www.peacelovebreastfeeding.com

--
Nikki Lee RN, BSN, Mother of 2, MS, IBCLC, CCE, CIMI, ANLC, CKC
Reviews Editor,* Clinical Lactation*