From:
Laurie Dulle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Mar 1996 06:59:27 -0800
Hello Lactnetters!  I need some wisdom from all of you---I am working
with a mom who is having problems and I am at the point of frustration.
 Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Mom's first baby---six months old.  Baby has just started on solids a
couple weeks ago--oatmeal with apple juice 1 Tbsp. per day. Mom is
taking no meds except for birth control pills which she has taken since
6 weeks postpartum.  Mom introduced formula a couple of weeks ago with
a mind toward a gradual weaning.  Yesterday baby woke up, nursed with
gusto then vomited the whole feed.  Mom then tried a bottle of formula
which baby took and kept down.  Repeated sequence all day--mom offers
breast, baby nurses well then immediately vomits whole feed.  Mom
finally took baby to emergency room at local military hospital and saw
non-ped doc who told her baby looks great but gave her Pedia___ just in
case.  Mom said baby is not especially interested in Pedia___ but will
still keep down formula.  As of this morning baby has not kept down
breastmilk for 24 hours.

Mom's diet hasn't changed significantly, baby has no s/s of illness, no
new teeth coming in (just got two) and is happy.  Why would the baby
vomit breastmilk and not formula?  Any ideas or suggestions would be
helpful--have I missed something major here?  TIA

Laurie Dulle, BS, IBCLC  Dayton, Ohio     [log in to unmask]