From:
Kika Baeza <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 May 2016 16:58:56 +0200
Hi Karen,

In my experience, areolas can have any condition that the rest of the skin
can have... Conditions not caused by breastfeeding but that breastfeeding
may exacerbate.
Here at the Clinic over the years we´ve seen of course thrush and bacterial
infections, but also eczema, psoriasis, herpes circinatus and other
dermatophytosis, herpes simplex, burns, allergic reactions... Anything that
can happen on the skin can happen on the areola.
Baby´s suckling, and often too the nipple shields, can make things worse.

The trick is to look at the areola and think SKIN :) To ask that mother
about similar lessions anywhere else in her body or in her medical
history.  Or find a dermatologist who will not just cross it off as some
breasfeeding problem, but as a skin problem in of itself, maybe made worse
by breastfeeding, but not caused by it.

Good luck!
KIka

--
Dra. Carmela Baeza
Médico de Familia

Autora de "Amar con los Brazos Abiertos"
http://www.ediciones-encuentro.es/libro/amar-con-los-brazos-abiertos.html

Comprometida con el Derecho a Vivir
http://derechoavivir.org