From:
Duncan Broadfoot <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Dec 1995 13:01:04 EST
One of the (many) things I like about Lactnet is finding out more about how
things are done in other countries/cultures.  I was surprised to see test
weighing mentioned on Lactnet.  While this would not be something I would do
anyway as a lay counsellor,  I have supported women who have been through this.
In my experience it has always been very stressful for the mothers.

In fact I believe it is very much out of favour in the UK.  To quote from
'Successful Breastfeeding' (Royal College of Midwives, 1991, written by a
working group whose members included Chloe Fisher and Mike Woolridge)
        - 'Under normal circumstances test weighing is neither a necessary nor an
effective tool for assessing the adequacy of lactation.'
        - 'The measurement of only one feed may be unrepresentative of other
feeds taken throughout the day, particularly if the test weigh is carried out
under conditions which are perceived as threatening to the mother...'
        - 'Measuring only volume intake, without a knowledge of the calorie
content of the milk consumed, may give a misleading picture of the ntritional
adequacy of the baby's diet.'
        - 'If it is necessary to know how much milk a breastfed baby is
consuming, test weighing should be carried out over a complete 24 hour period,
using an electronic, averaging scale in order to establish the volume intake
accurately'

All of which makes complete sense to me.

'Successful Breastfeeding' is research-based, and 3 papers are given as