From:
Judy Le Van Fram <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Feb 2005 12:52:00 EST

In a message dated 2/7/2005 5:33:02 PM Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/2005-02-06-nursing-moms_x.htm

From  the reaction to the AAP sleep guideline:

"We have whole generations of  well-adjusted, healthy people who didn't sleep
near their parents as babies,"  says Coontz, author of Marriage, A History,
which arrives in May from Viking  Press.

Hmmm, exactly where are those millions of healthy, well-adjusted  people?
Seems to me if we were, we wouldn't need AAP guidelines to tell us to  breastfeed
our babies and keep them close--in other words, to meet their needs  as ours
likely were not met. I think he's playing fast and loose with the  terms
"healthy" and  "well-adjusted".

Jennifer,
Thanks for posting. I would also question 'healthy' and "well-adjusted".  The
word that stuck out at me was "generations" - solitary sleep is a few  thing
in human history. Seems like even two whole  generations of solitary sleepers
is pushing it.  Even as some Americans  moved their babies elsewhere there
were lucky babies who stayed near mom and  there have continued  to be  people
who by culture, choice, housing  set-up, have their children sleeping in
"proximity" to their mom, as the AAP now  recommends.
Judym able to read Lactnet again after a long hiatus!

Judy LeVan  Fram, PT, IBCLC, Brooklyn, USA