From:
Lisa Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Feb 2000 12:22:03 EST
I recently supported, encouraged, and gave information to a nursing couple
who, after nearly eight weeks of pumping and bottle-feeding breastmilk,
transitioned to *complete* breastfeeds in the third month.  The baby did not
ever seem to have a clue about what to do at the breast, and for a long while
actively fought the breast when put there.  The mother is somewhat large
breasted, with large nipples (classic oro-boobular disproportion :-0) and
baby was a little peanut with a teeny tiny mouth.  He just got lost in the
mass of breast and unfortunately was also bottle-fed before he went to breast
in the hospital, much to the mother's dismay.  When I spoke to the mom at
about six weeks postpartum, she was *giving up*.  She had pumped around the
clock for way too long and was feeling so rejected by her baby that she was
overwhelmed.  I suggested that she ask the LC she had been working with about
using a nipple shield to facilitate transition to breast - the mom went and
bought one on her own (they are carried in our local pharmacy) and used it
for *one day*- she said she could *feel* the baby relaxing at the breast in
the realization that the breast was a happy and milk-producing place to be.
They used the shield for a few feedings, then baby went to the breast and
never looked back.
  I share this story because even when it seems as if "everything" has been
tried, some babies will surprise us (similar to the mom/baby that I helped
who had used a nipple shield for *five* months but who never gave up the idea
of nursing at the breast, and one day, it just clicked for them and *they*
never looked back!)  Even something as seemingly simple as using the "nipple
sandwich" technique ("The Breastfeeding Answer Book" page 53) can make a huge
difference.  Keep suggesting, keep encouraging, keep supporting, while
helping the mother identify what *her* goals are for *her* breastfeeding
relationship.

My first post in a very long time, btw.  Thanks to the anonymous letter
writer for putting into words what I had also been feeling.

Lisa Jones, in sunny Wellington FL, US- west of Palm Beach, north of Miami
(remember when we all were identifying our geographical location?)