Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Nov 2008 14:16:14 -0600
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (65 lines)
You are promoting another breast pump company which is owned by a toy company.  ALL companies have to make money or they don't make products.  Show me the research dollars spent by this company on BASIC breast research.  

-----Original Message-----
From: Lactation Information and Discussion [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Morgan Gallagher
Sent: Tuesday, November 04, 2008 12:32 PM
Subject: Re: analogies

What is being stated, is that if you analyse this company's promotional work.  Its words, images, tone and slant, you will find it is not promoting breastfeeding.

It is promoting breastmilk.

Which is an entirely different matter.

And 'persecution' requires unfair and unfounded treatment and criticism.

What is being discussed is if you are going to allow this company the _privilege_ or having your money.

Not buying something, because you don't like how a company operates, is not persecution.

It's choice.  Discernment, to echo a long past lactnet post.

We can all choose to inform a company that as they are not conducting themselves in a way we consider ethical.  That involves telling them clearly upfront.  Not buying their products.  Not helping publicise their company.  Not giving them _your_ credibility.  Not accepting sponsorship.

If the issue is their pumps do work better (and therefore they are using that to over ride your ethical objections) you put the work into making sure ethical companies you feel you can support, develop to that level.

I attended a LLL day recently.  A pump company was present that did not undermine code, did not promote breastmilk over breastfeeding, and had very carefully worked to ensure it did all of those things.  Much as I hesitate to mention a commercial company in here - and this is NOT an endorsement of that company's products, but of it's ethical stance.. you can find their site here:  <http://www.ardomums.co.uk/index.php>

You won't find blatant bottle advertising, you won't find teats and you won't find "breast to belly solutions". 

You will find ethical attempts to support breastfeeding.

What one company can do... all companies can do.

I congratulated the workers on the stand, that day.  That's the choices we have: support ethical companies, or support unethical ones.

Your choice.

Morgan Gallagher

Pam McArthur-Elliott wrote:
>
> Sorry, I just to not understand persecuting someone who is just doing 
> what they can to help breastfeeding mothers, as all of us are!
>
>   

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail 2. To start it again: set lactnet mail 3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet 4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2