From:
Pamela D Berens <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Dec 2000 15:45:00 -0600
I disagree that the patient described needs to wean for a mammogram to
evaluate a breast mass during breastfeeding.  First, the information
suggesting that mammograms are not accurate during lactation is
primarily based on older information / techniques...it may not be that
inaccurate.  I recommend that my patients empty their breasts
immediately before the mammogram - take your baby or your pump to the
appointment and empty right before.  Second, if you have a breast mass,
mammography, IMHO, is not conclusive even if you are not pregnant or
breastfeeding.  If a breast mass is present and the mammogram is
normal - an ultrasound should be preformed to determine if the palpable
mass is cystic or solid. I usually send the patient for both tests the
same day. There is no reason I can think of to wean prior to the
evaluation.  Even if she needs a biopsy, this can be done during
lactation without much incident... I do not understand any reason that
the woman described should be required to wean.       Pamela